You will need:
For the cake:
- 6 eggs
- 80g sugar
- 1 pack vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 60g dark chocolate
- 50g wheat flour (hard)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 30g cornstarch (I used this one)
For the cream:
- 2 chocolate cream packs (I used this one)
- 200ml milk
- 100g butter
- 50ml freshly-squeezed orange juice
For the decorations:
- 100g marzipan
- 50g powdered sugar
How to prepare:
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and mix the egg whites and 40g of sugar. Whisk until stable.
- Mix together the yolks with the rest of the sugar, vanilla sugar, orange zest and melted chocolate until frothy.
- Add baking powder to flour. Alternate between mixing in the flour, cornstarch and whisked egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Line a pan with baking paper spread out the mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 180°C.
- Take out the baked cake (which will be flat) and roll it up with the baking paper. Leave it like that for 2-3 minutes, unroll and and leave it to cool.
- When cooled down, spread part of the cream on it and roll it up again. Use the left-over cream to cover the roll itself until completely covered.
- Spread the rest of the cream onto the roll. Use a fork to make the "bark effect" by dragging it gently over the cream.
- Cut the roll into two parts, one smaller and one larger and put them next to each other (they will be the log itself).
- Mix in the chocolate cream packs with milk and mix (with an electric mixer) for about 3 minutes.
- Add softened butter and orange juice and continue mixing for another 2-3 minutes.