- Prepare your working space/altar (decorations, ritual tools, get the place warm, get the music ready etc.)
- Cleanse the water with salt
- Open the circle with your athamé (in covens, this is done by the High Priestess who leaves a gap at the northeast part of the circle where the High Priest and rest of the coven wait to be let in)
- For covens: the High Priestess lets the High Priest into the circle with a kiss, he lets in one woman and this continues until everyone is inside
- Close the aforementioned gap in the circle (if you are working alone or with only one more person then you don't even have to make the gap since you don't have anyone to let inside)
- Mark the circle with the Elements (in covens, these tasks are assigned to four people so that each person gets one Element)
- Visualize the protecting of the circle
- Invoke the Elements (in coven rituals, the coven usually repeats after the High Priest and High Priestess)
- Invoke the Goddess and the God
Invoking the Goddess and God
- the HPs stand with her back to the altar, with a staff/wand in her right hand and a scourge in her left (her hands are crossed in the Osiris pose)
- the HP kneels in front of the HPs
- the HP kisses the HPs in the following order: right foot, left foot, right knee, left knee, womb, right breast, left breast, lips. When he kisses her on the womb, she spreads her arms in the blessing position (simply outstretched arms as if you are about to hug someone). I understand that this part might be quite strange for some of you, but don't worry. There is always alternative. For example, the HP can kiss his hand and with it lightly touch these body parts. This way, you can feel more comfortable, but the energy has still been transferred.
- While the HP kisses the aforementioned body parts, he says, after each "group" (feet, knees, womb, breasts, lip) the following sentences:
"Blessed be thy feet, that have brought thee in these ways.
Blessed be thy knees, that shall kneel at the sacred altar.
Blessed be thy womb, without which we would not be.
Blessed be thy breasts, formed in beauty.
Blessed be thy lips, that shall utter the Sacred Names."
- the HP kneels once more in front of the HPs and begins drawing down the Moon (also given according to Janet and Stewart Farrar). While speaking the following words, he makes a triangle symbol (pointing downwards) by touching the HPs' womb, right breast, left breast and then womb again:
"I invoke thee and call upon thee, Mighty Mother of us all, bringer of all fruitfulness; by seed and root, by bud and stem, by leaf and flower and fruit, by life and love do I invoke thee to descend upon the body of this thy servant and priestess."
- the HPs does and invoking pentagram of Earth in the air (you can find it in the post on ritual form) with her wand and says:
"Of the Mother darksome and divineMine the scourge, and mine the kiss;The five-point star of love and bliss -Here I charge you, in this sign."
- the HP stands to the left of the HPs and speaks the beginning of the Charge:
"Listen to the words of the Great Mother; she who of old was also called among men Artemis, Astarte, Athene, Dione, Melusine, Aphrodite, Cerridwen, Dana, Arianrhod, Isis, Bride, and by many other names."
- the HPs continues:
"Whenever ye have need of any thing, once in the month, and better it be when the moon is full, then shall ye assemble in some secret place and adore the spirit of me, who am Queen of all witches. There shall ye assemble, ye who are fain to learn all sorcery, yet have not won its deepest secrets; to these will I teach things that are yet unknown. And ye shall be free from slavery; and as a sign that ye be really free, ye shall be naked in your rites; and ye shall dance, sing, feast, make music and love, all in my praise. For mine is the ecstasy of the spirit, and mine also is joy on earth; for my law is love unto all beings. Keep pure your highest ideal; strive ever towards it; let naught stop you or turn you aside. For mine is the secret door which opens upon the Land of Youth, and mine is the cup of wine of life, and the Cauldron of Cerridwen, which is the Holy Grail of immortality. I am the gracious Goddess, who gives the gift of joy unto the heart of man. Upon earth, I give the knowledge of the spirit eternal; and beyond death, I give peace, and freedom, and reunion with those who have gone before. Nor do I demand sacrifice; for behold, I am the Mother of all living, and my love is poured out upon the earth."
- the HP now says:
"Hear ye the words of the Star Goddess; she in the dust of whose feet are the hosts of heaven, and whose body encircles the universe."
- the HPs continues:
"I who am the beauty of the green earth, and the white Moon among the stars, and the mystery of the waters, and the desire of the heart of man, call unto thy soul. Arise, and come unto me. For I am the soul of nature, who gives life to the universe. From me all things proceed, and unto me all things must return; and before my face, beloved of Gods and of men, let thine innermost divine self be enfolded in the rapture of the infinite. Let my worship be within the heart that rejoiceth; for behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. And thou who thinkest to seek for me, know thy seeking and yearning shall avail thee not unless thou knowest the mystery; that if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee, thou wilt never find it without thee. For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning; and I am that which is attained at the end of desire."
"And ye shall be free from slavery; and as a sign that ye be really free, ye shall be naked in your rites; and ye shall dance, sing, feast, make music and love, all in my praise."
- the HP and HPs stand facing the altar with their arms raised in the position of the Horned God salutation (clenched fists with the little finger and forefinger up). The HP invokes the God:
"Great God (Cernunnos), return to earth again!Come at my call and show thyself to men.Shepherd of Goats, upon the wild hill's way,Lead thy lost flock from darkness unto day.Forgotten are the ways of sleep and night -Men seek for them, whose eyes have lost the light.Open the door, the door that hath no key,The door of dreams, whereby men come to thee.Shepherd of Goats, O answer unto me!"
"Darksome night and shining moon,East, then South, then West, then North;Hearken to the Witches' Rune -Here we come to call ye forth!Earth and water, air and fire,Wand and pentacle and sword,Work ye unto our desire,Hearken ye unto our word!Cords and censer, scourge and knife,Powers of the witch's blade -Waken all ye into life,Come ye as the charm is made!Queen of heaven, Queen of hell,Hornèd hunter of the night -Lend your power unto the spell,And work our will by magic rite!By all the power of land and sea,By all the might of moon and sun -As we do will, so mote it be;Chant the spell and be it done!"
- Preparing the altar and ritual space
- Cleansing the water with salt
- Opening the circle with your athamé
- Marking the circle with the Elements
- Visualizing the protection of the circle
- Invoking the Elements
- Invoking the Goddess and God: Drawing down the Moon (the Fivefold Kiss+the Charge of the Goddess) + the invocation of the God
- Dancing the Witches' Rune