12.5.13

Oatcake

This is the first time that I have ever used oat, but the recipe seemed very healthy so I couldn't resist the temptation to try it. :D I found the original recipe on a blog entitled My Moonlit Path so what I will write in this post is just the recipe I found there with a few personal comments. :) 

Oatcake With a Coconut and Walnut Glaze


You will need:

For the cake:

  • 1 cup oats (you can buy them in practically any supermarket or health-food store)
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar (I cut this down to half a cup)
  • 1/2 (half) cup fat
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 cups plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon carbonated water (I didn't really measure this)
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder (I put in 1 spoon so the cake rises a bit more)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I put more of this in too because I love the smell)

For the glaze:

  • 6 spoons butter
  • 1/4 (quarter) cup shortly boiled milk
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 (half) cup coconut (I bought it in a bag)
  • 1/2 cup shopped nuts
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (I used vanilla extract instead)

How to prepare: 

The cake:

  1. Heat oven up to 175°C.
  2. Mix together oats and boiled water and stir. Let it sit for about 20 minutes (I let it sit for 10-15 minutes because the oats soaked up the water very quickly).
  3. Mix together brown and white sugar, fat and eggs in a bowl (I did this with an electric mixer).
  4. After the oats have soaked up the water, add them to the previous mixture and mix all of it together.
  5. Add the other ingredients (flour, carbonated water, salt, baking powder and cinnamon) to the mixture. I recommend you use a wooden spoon now because of the flour.
  6. Get out a pan approximately 33x22cm in size (mine was 38x28cm) and cover with baking paper and pour in the mixture.
  7. Bake for 35-40 minutes (I found it enough to bake for 35 minutes).

The glaze:

  1. Shortly boil milk.
  2. In a smaller pot, melt butter and add sugar and previously heated up milk.
  3. Heat this up all together until bubbles starting appearing and then remove from fire. 
  4. Chop walnuts (I didn't actually chop them but rather used a meat tenderizer to crush them into larger pieces. To prevent them shooting all over the place, I wrapped then in cling film and then crushed them. It was faster and there was less to clean later).
  5. Add these walnuts, coconut and vanilla to the previous mixture and mix together.
  6. After the cake has cooled down a bit, pour this mixture over it and serve to your loved ones. :D You can cut it any way you like....I cut mine up into strips because it was quite shallow so this was a nice snack when it was cut into small pieces. :)
I hope that you will enjoy the cake because I definitely did. :D

Bon appetit. I'll write to you again soon. Yours,
Witch's Cat

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar

Napomena: komentar može objaviti samo član ovog bloga.