Oatcake With a Coconut and Walnut Glaze
You will need:
For the cake:
- 1 cup oats (you can buy them in practically any supermarket or health-food store)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar (I cut this down to half a cup)
- 1/2 (half) cup fat
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon carbonated water (I didn't really measure this)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (I put in 1 spoon so the cake rises a bit more)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I put more of this in too because I love the smell)
For the glaze:
- 6 spoons butter
- 1/4 (quarter) cup shortly boiled milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 (half) cup coconut (I bought it in a bag)
- 1/2 cup shopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I used vanilla extract instead)
How to prepare:
- Heat oven up to 175°C.
- Mix together oats and boiled water and stir. Let it sit for about 20 minutes (I let it sit for 10-15 minutes because the oats soaked up the water very quickly).
- Mix together brown and white sugar, fat and eggs in a bowl (I did this with an electric mixer).
- After the oats have soaked up the water, add them to the previous mixture and mix all of it together.
- Add the other ingredients (flour, carbonated water, salt, baking powder and cinnamon) to the mixture. I recommend you use a wooden spoon now because of the flour.
- Get out a pan approximately 33x22cm in size (mine was 38x28cm) and cover with baking paper and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (I found it enough to bake for 35 minutes).
- Shortly boil milk.
- In a smaller pot, melt butter and add sugar and previously heated up milk.
- Heat this up all together until bubbles starting appearing and then remove from fire.
- Chop walnuts (I didn't actually chop them but rather used a meat tenderizer to crush them into larger pieces. To prevent them shooting all over the place, I wrapped then in cling film and then crushed them. It was faster and there was less to clean later).
- Add these walnuts, coconut and vanilla to the previous mixture and mix together.
- After the cake has cooled down a bit, pour this mixture over it and serve to your loved ones. :D You can cut it any way you like....I cut mine up into strips because it was quite shallow so this was a nice snack when it was cut into small pieces. :)