Protection Methods in Magic
Why Protect Yourself?
If you want to be polite, then try staying away from that person, and if that is unavoidable then try to keep yourself distanced when you are near them (fold your arms and legs, try not to sit facing them etc.). This is thought to be a way of (for lack of a better word) protecting your energy. I guess that the term "body language" is familiar to you. All of the above actions are examples of negative body language (i.e. the way you behave when you don't like someone and the chances are that you won't like this person for some valid reason). In fact, it's best to avoid any contact with that person because energy is always transferred one way or another. Some will also recommend not letting that person into your home, not receiving any gifts from them etc. All of this would be thought of as bad manners by any standards, but I refuse to give my personal opinion on the subject because I would like to leave it up to you; how far will you go to protect yourself? On the other hand, maybe you won't even have to concern yourself with this if you are like me and don't believe in the possibility of this happening.
By the way, if this person intentionally wishes to harm you, then it is often the case that they are insecure and that this was their last option. Therefore, they are desperate to achieve their goal (even if it seems good only from their perspective). By this point in time, they have probably spent a lot of time and energy trying to harm you, which gives you a certain advantage because you are going to be the ones with more energy to use for protection. This fact might even raise your self-esteem, and I mention this because self-confidence can do wonders for energy.
Others may decide to use amulets or talismans for protection. In case you aren't familiar with these two concepts, let me explain them to you. Both of them are types of objects used for protection. The difference is that amulets are entirely natural (they aren't modified in any way by humans i.e. they aren't engraved, covered with anything, decorated using any glues etc. They can possibly be altered by weaving or being bent in any way if possible, but in any case, the surface must not be damaged). A talisman, on the other hand, is a modified object. It can be made out of wood, metal, crystals and so on. You will often see various symbols engraved in talismans, but this is a too broad topic to be discussed in this post. If you decide to use either, then you mustn't forget to cleanse and consecrate them before you as well as meditate on its use during the process.
Visualizations / Exercises
Cutting the Cord
Like I already mentioned, you can do this exercise with a physical object or you can imagine a symbol of that object and work with that.
Rituals are also a great way for protecting yourself because they include making a safe place to work in (and think in). It is for this reason that I have written down a group ritual for protection that I found, but I think it can easily be adapted to only one person.
Group Work for Psychic Protection
- Prepare the space according to your religion/taste. I have talked a bit more on how this is done in Wicca in one of my previous posts on ritual form.
- Stand in a circle facing inwards (if you're working alone, simply stand facing the center and looking towards the east).
- Hold hands in this circle so that your right palm is facing downwards and your left palm upwards (if you're working alone, hold both hands in the palm-up position).
- The leader of the group (of you're working alone, that would of course be you) now has to state the goal of this ritual. You should take care to form this goal carefully.
- Each member should now visualize two circular walls of light encircling the entire group concentrically. The first wall of light is very high and bright. It radiates a blueish-white light and finishes only slightly outside the circle of people. This circle rotates clockwise. The second wall look exactly like the first one, but it is a bit further out of the circle of people and higher than the first wall (so that you can see only the top of the second wall from behind the first one). This wall will rotate anti-clockwise. These two walls will now spin in opposite directions faster and faster, but be careful to give enough time for each member to do this visualization as best as possible.
NOTE: This is a difficult visualization so don't rush through it or feel bad if you don't succeed the first time you do it. Try to visualize both walls, but if you're having problems with that, one wall will do for starters. P.S. The visualization stays the same even if you're working alone.
- All the members part (if you're working alone, of course this doesn't apply to you).
- Each member individually does the exercise of the Tower of Light (I have listed it just below this exercise).
- Rejoin hands and share your energy (you may feel it circling anti-clockwise through you because every person will be receiving energy with their left hand which is facing upward and sending it with their right hand which is facing downward). If you're working alone, you can try to clasp your own hands and feel this circulation.
- State again, but this time all together, what your goal is. The leader can show you in which tempo to speak, or one person begin and the others follow so this can turn into a sort of a chant or you can simply let everyone talk in their own time. It's all a matter of agreement, but you won't have that problem if you're working alone :)
- Everyone now visualizes the pre-defined symbol of protection (more on this in the next subheading) and see it radiating a bright light and floating in the middle of the circle above your heads and, in this way, protecting you. You can now chant the name of the symbol or a word or two that represent it. Imagine the symbol radiating an ever brighter light.
- Finish the exercise by stating, for the final time, your goal. After this, you can let go or each other and close the circle as you see fit (you can also find the Wiccan way of doing this in the above-mentioned post).
Your Protection Symbol
- Turn in the direction from which you think the threat is coming (and if you don't know, then turn facing the east).
- Imagine your protection symbol on your forehead radiating a bright blue light which cannot be any brighter than it already is.
- Lift your hands straight in front of you so that your palms are facing outwards. Join the tips of your forefingers and thumbs (as in the picture) to from a triangle.
- Keep your hands in this position and put them against your forehead so that the symbol you are visualizing fits into the triangle (so palms still outward). Stay like that for a few moments.
- You can now say something that will strengthen your protection symbol and the triangle symbol (be it a word of protection, the name of a God/Goddess you believe can help you and protect you etc.).
- Abruptly thrust your hands outward as if you want to catapult the symbol you are visualizing towards the threat (presuming you know the direction, but even if you don't, remember that it will find its target). When doing this, your hands will loose contact and the symbol will practically blind you from brightness.
The Tower of Light
- Sit comfortably.
- Breathe deeply and evenly (do this throughout the whole exercise).
- Gradually relax your whole body (I recommend squeezing and then relaxing each muscle in your body in turn, starting from your toes, going to your face muscles and returning down toward your fingers).
- If you are standing, then be sure to stand fully upright. If you are walking while doing this exercise, then do so calmly, taking even paces, with a straight back and let your hands swing freely. If you are sitting, then let your back be straight, feet naturally set apart and firmly on the ground and put your hands facing downward on your thighs. I wouldn't recommend you lie down, but if you decide to do so then take care to feel as stable as possible. The best choice would be for you to do this standing up.
- Imagine a bright blue light shining around you in an ellipsoid (oval) form. Make it shine out to about 20cm from your body (both in height and width) but let it shine about 40cm outwards from your feet and head. You aura is usually much larger than this, but it's easier to visualize this smaller amount of light as well as easier to control. Why does it have to be blue? Because blue is the color of protection (although the aura is usually visualized as silver).
- When you feel secure enough in this visualization, imagine a sphere of white light floating above your head (it has to be inside this aura of blue light).
- Imagine this sphere radiating more and more light (you don't have to look towards it, just sense that it's there). This sphere resembles the light of your higher self, your higher consciousness and it isn't recommended that your higher self contact your physical body (or ego, or even your consciousness), so take care not to let this sphere touch your physically.
- Continue visualizing both the white sphere and the blue aura and feel their protection, aim towards your highest goal; try to be the best person you can be.
- When you're ready, start visualizing this white sphere like it is "snowing" except these snow flakes are silver and continue floating around your aura (they don't fall to the ground). Imagine these snow flakes slowly integrating with your blue aura and pervading it.
- You blue aura is still and has a clearly defined perimeter (it's still ellipsoid), but it now glows with a silver light in addition to the blue one.
- Keep this vision in your mind for as long as possible. Become aware of your higher self and feel secure in your aura. Relax. When you are ready, visualize the white sphere fading and be aware that it isn't fading from existence or from your consciousness, but merely from that vision. You can get it back whenever you like because it is a part of you, it is you, and you can't really loose yourself.
- Slowly come back to reality by opening your eyes.
The Pyramid of Light
- Stand up straight.
- Visualize a four-sided pyramid around you (it has a square for its base and for sides that meet in a point just above your head. Make it big enough for your whole body to fit into it).
- Imagine it being filled up with white light which symbolizes purity and positivity. Be aware that this light and the pyramid won't allow the flow of negative energy that day (so you won't be able to receive it or send it).
- When you have strengthened this picture, imagine the pyramid changing its solidity (I'm guessing that you visualized it as being made out of glass up to now). Make it be more flexible...a bit jellylike (it doesn't have to be jelly, but it has to be flexible and transparent). Now try to move your hands about until you are sure that it is flexible enough and that it completely adapts to your body shapes and poses.
- Make a few steps and slowly move around until you are completely sure that it will adapt to you no matter what.
- Simply continue with your day.