You Will Need:
For the dough:
- 2 packets dry yeast
- cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 125g unsalted melted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 all-purpose flour
For the glaze:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
How To Prepare:
- Add water and yeast in a bowl and mix with a fork. Add 1 spoon of sugar and continue mixing. Leave the mixture to stand until it starts foaming (about 5 minutes).
- Add the rest of the sugar, butter, heavy cream, milk, saffron, salt and eggs and mix using an electric mixer.
- Add cup by cup of the flour and mix using a wooden spoon until the dough becomes soft and compact (but expect that it will still be sticky).
- Cover the bowl with the dough with cling film and leave it in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (preferably overnight).
- Get the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut into smaller pieces (I got 32 altogether).
- Cover your baking tray with baking paper and heat the oven up to 175°C.
- Roll each piece of dough into a rope. Form the buns by rolling the ends of the rope in opposite directions to form a reverse S shape.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the egg and milk.
- Glaze the buns (preferably using a brush) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Leave them to rise in a warm place an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Bake for about 15 minutes (let the buns turn golden-brown but not too dark on the bottom) and leave them out to cool down.