You Will Need:
- 125g melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk (or simply make your own by mixing milk and lemon; I will explain how later)
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 packets instant dry yeast
- melted butter for brushing over the buns
How To Prepare:
- If you don't have any buttermilk you can prepare your own. In order to make buttermilk, get 230ml of milk and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to it (a bit more won't hurt). Leave the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Melt 125g of butter and mix it with the buttermilk/milk-lemon mixture using a wooden spoon. Add in the ricotta cheese.
- Add the sugar, salt and yeast and slowly add the flour (I recommend you mix it all using a wooden spoon).
- Cover the dough with cling film and leave it to rise in a warm place for about an hour (it should double in size).
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 1-2cm thickness (take into consideration that it will more than double in size in the oven). Cut the dough using a circular cookie cutter about 5cm in diameter.
- Line your baking tray with baking paper and put the dough on the tray. Cover the buns with a dishtowel and leave them to rise in a warm place for another 30-60 minutes.
- Bake them at 175°C about 25 minutes (or until the buns turn golden-brown).
- While they are still warm, brush them with butter.