You will need:
- 50dkg plain flour
- 1 spoon sodium bicarbonate
- 15dkg sugar (crystal)
- a bit of cinnamon (depending on your taste)
- 10 crushed cloves
- 3 eggs
- 16dkg honey (I added a bit more)
- a bit of milk and rum (for cakes) depending on your taste
- a bit of lemon zest (also according to your taste)
How to prepare:
- Mix together flour and sodium bicarbonate with sugar, cinnamon, cloves and eggs.
- Parboil this mixture with hot honey.
- Form the dough on a floured wooden surface (so it doesn't stick).
- Roll the dough until it is as thin/thick as you want it to be (keep in mind that it will rise during the baking process).
- Make it into shapes of your choosing using small cake molds (circles, abstract forms etc.) or with your hands.
- Before putting them into the oven, you can put a bit of egg whites (unbeaten) mixed with powdered sugar on them or simply just sprinkle them with normal/powdered sugar after baking. It is also common to decorate them by putting a whole almond in the middle of one or by sprinkling chopped nuts on them (I "decorated" mine by just brushing them over with a bit of unbeaten egg-whites so they have that glossy look to them when they're done).
- Bake for 5-10 minutes at 150-160°C (don't let yourselves be fooled because they may seem quite pale on the outside but they tend to burn on the bottom parts quite quickly! I baked mine for about 8 minutes at 160°C).