You Will Need:
- 200g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 90g powdered sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 vanilla pod (or 1 bag of vanilla sugar i.e. 9g)
- 300g plain flour
- orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 80g sugar
How To Prepare:
- Using an electric mixer, mix together softened butter, yolk, powdered sugar, salt, almonds and vanilla in a bowl (if this is your first time using vanilla pods, if you have decided on them rather than the vanilla sugar, it's important to note that you don't put the whole pod into the mix. You first have to cut the pod in half lengthwise, open it up and scrape out the vanilla beans into the mix). Add flour little by little and mix it all well.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for half an hour.
- In the meantime, grate your orange and mix the zest with the sugar.
- Heat your oven up to 175°C.
- Line your baking tray with baking paper.
- Get the dough out of the fridge and form small crescents (their size depends on your preference).
- Bake the crescents for 10-12 minutes until they get golden-brown (but be careful, they can get very brown very fast on the bottom and can remain quite pale on top so just take care not to let them burn on the bottom).
- When they are done, roll the crescents int he orange-sugar mix. If you leave them to sit in it overnight then they will really absorb the aroma nicely.